Dear Community Members, Asalaamu’alaykum
I would like to update you on the progress we are making on the building project. Over the past few weeks, on-site work was stalled because of a couple of issues that came up and had to be resolved. Alhamdulillah, these issues have now been resolved and the construction should resume soon. Despite the work stoppage, due to errors on our side, DMM, our contractor, has decided not to file any change orders for the time lost, the wages they had to pay and rent for the equipment that was stationed at the IABA campus during this time. Any other contractor would have filed a change order for thousands of dollars.
We are very happy to have DMM as our contractor.
Below is the summary of what was accomplished in the past few weeks:
- Corrected civil plan and got it approved from Austin Water. DMM will be installing a 3” water line with a new meter.
- All private utility inspections complete, besides the water line. Inspection was done by Inspector Philip from City of Austin, who was also our inspector during the site development phase.
- Work will start on the water line once the inspection is completed by Austin Water on the public side of the fence.
- Steel has been ordered. Updated shop drawings would be delivered to IABA for approval once done.
- Elevator contract signed. Will provide submittal to IABA when it is ready.
We expect the following to be done this week and next:
- Back fill all trenches.
- Get inspection done by the Fire marshal.
- Order the dirt to raise the foundation and begin pad work.
- Finish public utility work once inspection is done by Austin Water on the public side.
Moreover, we had a good session on racial discrimination last week and a follow-up email was sent to the community seeking feedback and suggestion. Please fill out the form and let us know your thoughts and experiences that you have had at IABA and elsewhere so that we can learn from them and act to rectify our failings.
As I mentioned last week, while we work to help outside organizations and movements that support racial equality, we cannot but be introspective about our own community. We all need to take a moment and reflect on our own biases, and prejudices and work towards eliminating them. Let us all work towards building a community that our Prophet (s.a.w) and the Ahlul Bait (a.s) wanted us to have, where piety and taqwa were valued over race, color of the skin and wealth.
I would also like to thank Kashif Bandali and Seana Aghilli for taking the initiative and cleaning up the marquee of dirt, rust and repainting it. However, since construction is going on, I would ask that before taking on a project at the Campus, please consult with Br. Shabbir to make sure it is safe.
As always, please provide your feedback at [email protected]. I am sure there are areas where we can do better.
Free public testing is now available in Austin. Please visit the following website for more information:
Please be mindful of your neighbors and extend a helping hand to them when you can.
As always, I pray and hope that you are all doing fine and taking advantage of this time to remember Allah and to spend quality time with your family. Please pray for all, that Allah protects us from this serious illness.
If you need any non-medical help, please do not hesitate to call the following number. Our volunteers are here to help.
Help Line: 512-436-3595
Visit the IABA website for links to CDC resources and local testing information.
Syed Ijlal Shah